[Web4lib] websites who sell access to licenced material illegally

clay claymsu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 09:45:38 EST 2007

on Thursday, we got an email/ticket from a librarian at a different
university  that mentioned that they saw our URL on a website.  They
mentioned that the website looked like it could be one of those sites
where they essentially gave out username/password combos for people to
use to access Library online resources.  In the past, we have seen those
pop up, and before, when we managed our own list, were able to simply go
in and remove the username that was the culprit.  Now, since we don't
manage the list, it is a different problem ... one we pretty much cannot
police.  This site is in Chinese (simplified) and google translator was
able to read it for me.  What I see there appears to be someone selling
a NetID/NetPassword combination for people to use to get to our journals
and databases.  This leads to potential licensing agreement violations,
should the vendors/publishers find out about it.

Are any other Libraries out there experiencing things like this
happening, as well?  If so, what are you doing about it?

Below is the "google Translated" version.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.proxycn.com%2Findex.php&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
<http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.proxycn.com%2Findex.php&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools>

Thanks
Clay