[Web4lib] MySpace and Public Libraries

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Jan 26 14:07:03 EST 2007

So, in other words, keep them bland and of no interest with no
controversies?

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Schmehl
Hines
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:59 PM
To: margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us; Web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] MySpace and Public Libraries

Hi Margaret and others,

I don't know if this has been discussed to death (I'm on the web4lib
digest) but at Law for Librarians last April in Chicago we were
encouraged to think of MySpace, blogs and the like as public fora and
manage them in ways that we manage other public fora (have clear
policies for what can and can't be posted reviewed by an attorney, in
accordance with other policies like those for meeting rooms, public
bulletin boards and displays, etc.)  I can try to drag out my material
if you'd like but I don't think I have any firm case law, statutes
etc.

Samantha Hines