[Web4lib] Metadata tools that scale

Winona Salesky winona.salesky at uvm.edu
Wed Jan 24 11:49:46 EST 2007

Hi Will,
I just started up a digitization center here at my institution (the
University of Vermont) and have been struggling with the same issues. As far
as I know there is nothing out there currently that meets all your
specifications. I think some metadata creation tools are tied to the Digital
Asset Management System you use (for example contentDM provides some online
forms for entering Dublin Core, and I believe Fedora has some online data
entry tools as well and also creates the structural metadata) so it may
depend on the DAMS you choose as well.

For our system I wanted the a very flexible system because I knew we were
going to be using METS, DC or MODS, EAD, TEI, and possibly other metadata
formats later on. Because of our staff limitations we couldn't really
implement and customize a solution like Fedora so I ended up choosing a
native XML database for our DAMS (eXist) and have built the metadata
management side using XForms, which are web based and can be submitted
directly to the XML database. I imagine an XForms solution could be
integrated with several of the other library DAMS available.

Here are some resources on Xforms:
WC3 intro to xforms
(http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2003/xforms-for-html-authors)
Orbeon (an open source solution to Xforms) (http://www.orbeon.com/)
Wikibooks Xforms (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms)

I'd be happy to talk to you more if you have any other questions. You can
also check out what I have been doing with XForms on my blog
(http://thedil.wordpress.com/).
Good luck!
-Winona
Digital Initiatives Librarian