[Web4lib] User Services Technology Specialist position. Stanford
jrjacobs at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 23 12:55:04 EST 2007
Hi Folks. I'm forwarding the job announcement below. Please excuse
duplication. If interested or have questions, please contact Kathy Kerns
(kkerns at stanford.edu), head of Stanford's Cubberley Education Library.
-------- Original Message --------
Stanford's Cubberley Education Library is seeking someone who possesses
both strong technical and reference skills for our User Services
Technology Specialist position. If you or someone you know might be
interested, please go to http://jobs.stanford.edu/find_a_job.html to
apply for this position. This job is classed as a Computing Information
Systems Analyst 4P2, but reference and public service are also very
important components of this position. Feel free to contact me if you
have any questions about it.
The User Services Technology Specialist reports to the Head of
Cubberley. The incumbent takes an active leadership role in the
identification, analysis, and implementation of new technologies for
information delivery services provided by the Cubberley Education
Library. The incumbent also participates as part of a team providing
reference and public services assistance in Cubberley.
* Works closely with the Head of Cubberley Library on technical
matters; proposing, testing, and providing evaluations of
available technological solutions for user services in education.
* Manages the multi-media component of the curriculum collections,
including the equipment needed to access digital and analog media
content within the collection.
* Develops and manages computer clusters within Cubberley Library.
* Ghosts images for clusters on various platforms.
* Keeps abreast of new developments in technology with potential for
enhancing the Cubberley Library users’ use of information
resources acquired by SULAIR (Stanford University Libraries and
Academic Information Resources).
* Maintains the Cubberley Web presence (including blog) in
consultation with the Head of Cubberley Library.
* Participates as part of the team providing reference and public
services assistance to SUSE faculty, staff, and students and other
Cubberley Library patrons.
* Serves as liaison with the User Services Technology Manager for
Green Library to ensure consistency of technology-based user
services in Cubberley and Green.
* Collaborates with colleagues in Green Library, Academic Computing,
and SUSE IT on technical issues.
* Trains Cubberley Library staff and users in the use of new
* Provides expert knowledge on various platforms and operating
systems, including Windows, Macintosh, Unix, and Linux.
* Works closely with the Cubberley Library Expert Partner.
*Description of the Relationships and Roles: *
Reports directly to the Head of Cubberley Library. Works closely with
the User Services Technology Manager in Green Library. Works with other
staff members to provide reference assistance in Cubberley.
*Equipment, Systems, software, skills to be used in the performance of
Equipment: servers, desktop machines, laptop computers, printers,
scanners, monitors, and handheld devices.
Systems: Stanford computing environment, and Leland system. Works with
Socrates and Kronos.
Software: Expertise in Dreamweaver, Email, Ghost, MS Office Suite,
Photoshop, wiki & blog creation tools. Uses search tools and a variety
of indexing and abstracting databases. Knowledge of Instant messaging
software, and RSS feeds.
Skills: system administration on Windows and Linux operating systems,
experience using Mac OS, programming and scripting in UNIX environment,
network administration, database administration, hardware/software
knowledge. Knowledge of wireless and various protocols involved.
*Qualifications or Requirements:*
* Demonstrated expertise in support of Windows and Mac OS-based
operating systems and a variety of software applications.
* Knowledge of UNIX, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
* Demonstrated expertise in emerging technologies and their
application to library services.
* Knowledge of Web-based applications and standards such as xhtml,
xml, and scripting programs. Knowledge of Dreamweaver.
* Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and fix software, hardware,
and networking problems.
* General knowledge of application software such as Microsoft
Office, Web browsers and search engines.
* Demonstrated reference experience in the social sciences.
* Advanced degree in Education or substantial experience working
with educational library resources preferred.
* A bachelor’s degree in information systems or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
* Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate
effectively in English.
* Experience in instructional design and the ability to explain
technical subjects to non-technical people.
* Experience in maintaining high quality user-oriented service.
* Strong organizational ability, proven ability to prioritize tasks
and time, and ability to manage multiple projects.
Kathryn (Kathy) M. Kerns, MLS, MA, PhD
Curator for Education Resources
Head of Cubberley Education Library
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford, CA 94305-3097
kkerns at stanford.edu
James R. Jacobs
International Documents Librarian
jrjacobs at stanford.edu
IM: LibrarianJames Jabber: radlib at jabber.org
More information about the Web4lib