[Web4lib] Interesting article about the future of the librarycatalog

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jan 16 16:34:23 EST 2007

This is exactly what Karen Markey suggests in her D-Lib article in the
same issue:
     http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january07/markey/01markey.html
It seems that a lot of people (albeit none of them catalogers) are
questioning the need for detailed description.

kc

Lin Light wrote:
> What if we had a bib record that didn't dwell so much on the physical
> description and had an expanded 520 field where the details of the contents
> would take the place of some of these arcane subject headings. Many of use
> only to those specializing on that subject.
> Oh by the way, I'm head of Technical and Automated Services.
> Oh blasphemer me.
>
> Lin

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net
ph.: 510-540-7596