[Web4lib] Question 16b on ARL Supplemental Statistics

Janice Christopher Janice.Christopher at uconn.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:25:39 EST 2007

This year, I finally saw the form for the first time, instead of someone just asking me for the data...

In the past we've answered this question with the count of the total number of *searches* of the catalog.  This includes staff searches via the OPAC web client, multiple searches from a single session, etc.  (This gives UConn 1.3 million or so.)

The paragraph at the bottom of this section of the ARL form says something like (I'm paraphrasing here) "a virtual visit is one that originates outside the library."  It wasn't clear to me whether an *individual search* or a *search session* (under a single process ID) constitutes a "visit."

Our OPAC logger records the IP address associated with a search [potentially serious civil liberties and privacy issues arise here, but that's a policy discussion].  With a little bit of work I could count the number of searches/sessions originating off-campus; with a little more work, and a list of all the library's subnets, I could count the number of searches/sessions originating from outside the library.

janice
Janice Christopher
Catalog Management Librarian
University of Connecticut