[Web4lib] question about video downloads from a library catalog

Geer, Caroline CarolineGeer at letu.edu
Fri Jan 12 17:38:51 EST 2007

Gillian,

Some webopacs allow the inclusion of multimedia files, but I think that
the file itself needs to sit on a webserver or file server.  The link in
the catalog, which can be embedded (for example, we use C2 from Contec
Data Systems International out of New Zealand, and it has an
infrastructure set up for multimedia files).

But even if the opac didn't accept multimedia files to be embedded, you
could always put a link to the file (assuming it's sitting on a server
somewhere) in the MARC record (856 field).

Hope this information is helpful!  It sounds like an excellent idea from
you City Manager, and shouldn't be too hard to implement as long as the
streaming video file is already stored on a server and has a URL or can
be imported into and stored on your opac server.

Caroline Geer
Coordiantor of Information Resources
Margaret Estes Library
LeTourneau University