[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sat Jan 6 13:24:51 EST 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> But nobody is going back, day by day, through the 1950s to add
> background information on news stories day by day.  Perhaps this
> is what needs to be done?  Can we estimate what we're missing?

This is true of the Web in general, not just Wikipedia. The Web is far
from "all information" -- and it isn't a balanced view of information
about the world, either. It's the corpus of what a small portion of the
world population that happens to have access to the network has chosen
to make available. (Some of us have been making this point since the
early days of Gopher.) It's heavily weighted toward geek topics (do a
google search for "python" -- no snakes) and the youth culture of the
Western world (Britney Spears et al). It's also possibly more commercial
than any knowledge base has ever been in the past. Unlike a more
classical view of knowledge, one day's news article can change the
entire measure of importance of a piece of information for about 24
hours. It's fluid, unruly, and idiosyncratic.

So I guess the upshot is that it's useless comparing Wikipedia to the
Encyclopaedia Brittanica -- they aren't the same thing. Wikipedia really
is a new beast. And like it or not, the "old beast" is about to go
bankrupt since it has lost its customer base.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net