[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 5 10:25:51 EST 2007

Apparently many experienced 'wikipedians' operate under the assumption
that the longer the article has been around, the more edits it has, and
the MORE debate on the 'discussion' page it has---the more likely it is
to be a 'good encyclopedia article'.  (Because if a lot of debate
occured, it means what's on the page is probably the eventual
consensus/compromise of debating parties, which means it's probably
relatively 'balanced'. )

The idea of "wikipedia literacy" is a really interesting one. Many users
probably don't even notice that they CAN look at the history or
discussion pages, let alone that they are useful information for
guessing as to the quality of an individual article.  There are surely
all sorts of other criteria--some yet undiscovered--for using to judge
the usefulness or trustworthiness of a wikipedia article, and of all
these "new sources" which don't work like the sources we are used to.

These are exciting times for us, no?  It's part of our collective job to
figure out these criteria, and then to help our users discover and use
them, for all these 'new sources' that are appearing, right? Not just to
discourage our users from using them.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind