[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 5 10:09:59 EST 2007

There are also a few interesting examples of 'non-named author' material
that are still widely considered reputable/authoritative.  Articles in
The Economist are one example that comes to mind--none have bylines.

So authority isn't always only about a known individual author, even in
mainstream academic/professional communities. [Someone will say, ah, but
it's because we trust The Economist and the collective process they use
to assign and edit articles, rather than the individual person producing
the article. True, of course. Compare and contrast with wikipedia?] I
don't have any answer to the ultimate nature of 'authority', I think the
issue of 'authority' is an ambiguous one that will only become more so
in the current environment. Our best as 'information literacy educators'
is probably, as others have been saying, to describe the strengths and
weaknesses of different sources (and classes of sources), rather than
decide on some ultimate ranking of which are 'best'. And more
importantly, give our patrons the tools to evaluate sources on their own
in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I have found wikipedia to be increasingly valuable to my own
personal inquiries (professional, academic, or recreational). I found
this happening almost despite myself over the past year and a half or
so. I had an initial disinclination to believe wikipedia could possibly
be valuable, but I found myself using it more and more. Which isn't to
say I believe everything I read there (I hope I don't believe anything I
read anywhere), but it's been an increasingly indispensible tool to me
as one source among the many I consult in my research behavior.

Jonathan