[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress rden at loc.gov
Fri Jan 5 09:58:11 EST 2007

From: "Deborah Kaplan" <dkaplan at brandeis.edu>
> Wikipedia is often inaccurate in matters of opinion, even when
> those opinions are phrased with Wikipedia's famed NPOV (Neutral
> Point of View) wording.
Case in point: I don't do much wikipedia editing, but several years ago I
tried to edit the article on Greg Maddux.  It described him as one of the
greatest pitchers in history, I felt that to be inapropriate opinion (not
"neutral"), and I removed it. (I don't much like Maddux, that's irrelevant
to this discussion, but it was my motivation for the editing.)  It was of
course reset within minutes, I did it again, the original wording was again
replaced, and so on, until I got a message asking me to "stop vandalizing
Wilipedia", so I stopped.

 That was several years ago and I forgot about it until this discussion. I
just looked at the article, the offending prose is gone and it looks fine.
So I suppose somewhere along the line they applied the NPOV filter.

But I found it interesting that (at that time, anyway) someone felt he or
she had  proprietary contol over the content of that article.