[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Meredith Farkas mgfarkas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:54:54 EST 2007

Andrzej,

I would hope that you would caution your students to be critical of
everything they read. The Wikipedia is far more trustworthy than most
Websites for the simple fact that anyone who is knowledgeable about a topic
can come in and fix inaccuracies. Any idiot can create a Website that makes
opinion and untruths look like fact and I would bet that many of your
students are happy to cite facts from anything they can find on their topic
online. Librarians (and I'm not just pointing the finger at you Andrzej)
should stop demonizing specific Websites and should be more concerned with
students knowing how to distinguish between a quality source and something
that should not be cited in a paper.

Meredith

On 1/4/07, Mezynski, Andrzej <mezynsab at lacitycollege.edu> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> you sound like my apartment manager when I report a plumbing problem :-)
> (did you fix it, well why not?)
> But seriously, as an "end user" I can deal with that, but as an academic
> librarian I must consider warning students about the possibility of
> encountering strange and/or misleading and/or offensive "data" on
> Wikipedia.
> One "insensitive" sentence is easy to detect but what about  ... e.g.
> politicians removing their "love rap-sheets"?  Or ethnic groups adding
> "glorious facts" to their history?
> I don't say " Wikipedia sucks" (as you did ;-), but I share my
> experience(s), idea(s) and concern(s) with others, that's why we joined
> this forum, right?
>
> Andrzej Mezynski

Meredith Gorran Farkas
http://meredith.wolfwater.com/wordpress/