[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Sutherland, Paul Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz
Thu Jan 4 15:34:35 EST 2007

Why did you not just remove that text on seeing it - it would have taken
less time than grumbling to the list - and you would have more insight
into how wikipedia and it community works.

However you wouldnt have recived a pointer to the good article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Replies_to_common_objections

Another thing to consider is how we help our customers (and colleagues)
to understand wikipedia and its ilk - and get over the Wikipedia sucks
feelings.

I think it is always worth replying to the antis - by saying - but did
you fix it, well why not?

I like "Should I Cite Wikipedia? Probably not."
http://www.williams.edu/library/citing/wikipedia.php
as a good example of advice in one context

/paul

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended
addressed.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch
City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz