[Web4lib] Can you recommend training for newbie?

Harwood, Rachel RHarwood at co.humboldt.ca.us
Tue Jan 2 16:02:58 EST 2007

Hi.  My boss would like me to learn to be the library's web maintainer
and designer.  I have design skills, but no computer skills (bar the
usual reference-librarian-type skills of Boolean searching, showing
people how to use the software we provide on the public machines, and so
on.)  I've never learned a computer language or done programming of any
sort.

For maintenance, I believe I can learn most of what I need from the guy
who's been maintaining our current site - that won't be a big deal.
However, my boss is hoping that I will be able to add new features to
the site and so forth, ideally with minimal time expended to learn the
skills since our library is strapped for staff as well as cash.

Do you have recommendations for courses to take?  There are a
bewildering number of online offerings and I find it hard to judge what
would be useful.  There's a basic class at the community college later
in the Spring, but if an online class would do it might work better for
me.  Or, do you think this is a realistic venture?  Would it make more
sense to contract the design work to a web designer?

R. Harwood