[Web4lib] Setting Google Scholar Institutions

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:14:17 EST 2007

Does anyone have any idea how to create a "save preferences" url for a
given institution in Google Scholar? The LibX FAQ,
http://www.libx.org/faq.html#QL10 gives an example demonstrating how,
if you click a special link, it will set your Google Scholar
preferences to Stanford University's SFX resolver.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_setprefs?num=50&newwindow=1&instq=&q=einstein&inststart=0&submit=Save+Preferences&inst=sfx-f7e167eec5dde9063b5a8770ec3aaba7

The "inst=sfx-f7e167eec5dde9063b5a8770ec3aaba7" part is what sets it.
But how is this hash generated? How can I construct one for my own
institution?

Here are some things I've tried.

Using a website that generates MD4, MD5, and SHA1 hashes,
http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/ I've tried variously using
- the domain name and IP address of our SFX server, both with and
without the "http://" prefix
- permutations of the campus IP address in generic form -- i.e.,
128.230.*.*, 128.230.0.0,  and 128.230.255.255 -- both with and
without the "http://" prefix

I also tried using hashes from the scholar.google.com cookie set in Firefox.

So far I've bombed out. The one thing I haven't tried, because I don't
have it, is a Google API key, but nothing in the library help page
indicates that Google Scholar uses one.

Any ideas?

--
Tom