[Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha -- the student perspective

Craig, Emory ecraig at cnr.edu
Wed Feb 21 14:58:33 EST 2007

Since the Wikipedia thread has been going strong, let me add one more
element to the fray. An item from Campus Technology's News Update says
that Middlebury College has banned student use of the site. While I have
some issues with Wikipedia, banning is probably the worst solution
possible.

What is interesting here for me is not the ban per se, or the Campus
Tech report, but the original student's Op-Ed piece in the Student
Weekly criticizing the ban. While I hardly agree with everything he
says, it is a well worth reading to gain a sense of the student
perspective on Wikipedia. And, I am a firm believer that we should
listen carefully to our students -- not necessarily agree with them, but
at least hear them out. It's interesting to see how they would frame the
terms of the debate.

The student's Op-Ed piece is here:

http://media.www.middleburycampus.com/media/storage/paper446/news/2007/0
2/14/Opinions/OpEd-Wikipedia.Ban.Is.A.Slippery.Slope-2717613.shtml

-e

P.s., Patience with the link -- it loads slowly due to heavy traffic on
their end (or perhaps we're just having a little too much P2P activity
today among CNR students).

Emory Craig
Director of Academic Computing
The College of New Rochelle