[Web4lib] Alternatives To EZProxy?

federica zanardini federica.zanardini at unimi.it
Wed Feb 21 02:46:38 EST 2007

Hi all,
in University of Milano we are using a squid-cache server to provide
the off-campus access to Digital Library since 2001.
Squid is an open-source project, it's a very reliable and versatile
software: we serve about 1500 users and use them also to manage the
pubblic access computers in our libraries. The major concern is that
is necessary to use a port different from 80, so users behind
firewalls have problems to connect .  To solve this problem last year
we installed also an ezproxy that works on the port 80 as a normal webserver.

If you plan to use squid-cache for off-campus access, keep in mind
that is also necessary:
a) create a PAC (proxy autoconfiguration file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config)  that should be
located in a public accessible URL and should be loaded by the users
browser (is used to select the domains/URLs to be proxied)
We have a very high number of domains/URLs to manage so we have
automatized the PAC creation using a database and some jave servlet.
This system is used also to create and update the Ezproxy configuration file.
b)  connect to an authentication/authorization system.
We use a central Radius-server used also by the institutional
mailserver. The interface Squid-Radius is a perl script that use some
modules distributed by CPAN.

bye

Federica

At 19.43 20/02/2007, Thomas Edelblute wrote:
>There is squid at http://www.squid-cache.org/ but I have not used it so
>I cannot speak to its capabilities.
>
>Thomas Edelblute, Public Access Systems Coordinator
>Anaheim Public Library

Federica Zanardini

Divisione Coordinamento Biblioteche - Biblioteca Digitale
Universita' degli Studi di Milano
Via G.Colombo,46 - 20133 Milano
Italy

Phone:+39-02-503-15218