[Web4lib] Mailto: links that can't be harvested by spambots?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:46:38 EST 2007

Actually, I think that employing /both/ approaches is the most logical.

While, yes, email addresses will still get out, spam filters do
nothing to stop the amount of bandwidth consumed by the spam emails.
By obfuscating email addresses this will at least reduce /some/ of
this burden (which, at the end of the day, /somebody/ is paying for in
bandwidth costs).

I don't think any of the obfuscation proponents are saying that this
will prevent all spam.  It prevents some, however, and, /as I've
already pointed out/, doesn't get in the way of accessibility, so why
not reduce some of the spambots targets?

-Ross.