[Web4lib] Mailto: links that can't be harvested by spambots?

Maurice York maurice.york at emory.edu
Mon Feb 19 11:44:54 EST 2007

Sorry, Ross. I've gotta disagree on that one. Huge swaths of parking lots
and a good deal of public transportation conveyances don't work well for
"these people" either, but the people with disabilities that I know don't
like to resign themselves to disappointment any more than the rest of us.

My general mode of operating: if you have two options for implementing
something as accessible or not accessible, choose the accessible root. If
there's no accessible option apparent, it's worth a little digging and
research to see if there's an option you're missing. If there's still no
accessible method, make sure that it degrades gracefully for the folks who
have screen readers, or who have javascript turned off, etc, etc. Most
importantly, know your audience. I'll use AJAX in a staff interface because
I know the people using it have Firefox or IE with the bells and whistles
turned on and don't use alternative devices for interpreting the screen (I
also know they're not trying to use it on PDAs or cell phones, etc). I'm
more reluctant to use it in a student interface, where the environment is
much more open and unpredictable and the choice to use something flashy or
convenient may mean that someone doesn't get their course materials today.

Fundamentally, keeping accessibility in mind just leads to better design,
whether I'm motivated by doing it for those with disabilities or not.

-Maurice