[Web4lib] CSS layout issue

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Wed Feb 14 11:05:23 EST 2007

Mike Taylor wrote:

> John Loy writes:
>  > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/
>  > http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/
>  > http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/css/faux-columns-for-liquid-layouts/
>  > http://nickcowie.com/2005/elastic-faux-columns/
>
> ... and if all that just seems unncessarily complicated, then why not
> just use a table?  Seriously: why not?  I know a lot of computer
> scientists who think CSS layout is more elegant, but I've never met a
> user who could tell the difference.

There are a couple of holes in the spec -- the inability to produce
equal length columns being one of them -- but honestly, once you start
using CSS, you really don't go back.

It no longer becomes "complicated" but rather just how you do layout and
positioning.  At that point, it's using tables that seems strange.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'