[Web4lib] a "television show" about public libraries

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 13:23:03 EST 2007

Smile, someone close to me (my wife) also dreams of a TV show set in a
library. She thinks there's enough quirkiness among patrons, and I suppose
staff, to tell some stories.   Once when watching a crime movie with the bad
guy running through a library she said, as the chase entered the reference
section:

  Hit him with the DSM!!!

I think what inspires her notion of a library sitcom was the day she sat on
the reference desk and an undergrad came up and asked how to find
something.  Like many libraries, Michigan State's library has carefully laid
out color-coded tapes on the floor showing how to get to the right shelves.
Informed to follow a certain tape the student stared at it, looked up
puzzled, and said "But it ends here."

Judy told her "It also begins here."

Good luck with your venture, wherever it begins or ends.  Consider alternate
attire for your pitch video.

/rich