[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Fri Feb 9 14:31:23 EST 2007

We don't let the laptops leave the library. We check them out as a
reserve item, two hours at a time. Patrons sign a "I understand I may be
charged if damaged" form every time they get check one out. We do have a
book security strip hidden in each laptop, so the security gate would
sound its obnoxious alarm if someone did try to leave the library with
the laptop. We label laptops in big, horrible handwriting, and they tend
to have parts held on with book tape or duct tape, so they're not
exactly attractive. We lock the BIOS, use security software, etc. If all
workers have to leave the checkout area, the shelf that the laptops are
stored in is locked.

With the next set of laptops I get, I'm considering getting laptop locks
that we could circulate as a separate item, so the patrons could secure
laptops to tables if they needed to leave them unattended to use the
restrooms.

We've never had a library laptop stolen. I don't even remember any
incidents of someone trying. Other equipment, but not the laptops.

Elena O'Malley, Head of Library Computer and Internet Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116