[Web4lib] Speaking Of Phishing... Keeping Up With Securty Advisories?

Micah Stevens micah at raincross-tech.com
Thu Feb 8 11:26:46 EST 2007

On 02/08/2007 03:43 AM, Blake Carver wrote:
> Speaking Of Phishing...  The thread on phishing exploits reminds me
> how important security is.
>
> How does everyone keep up on the latest security happenings around the
> web?
>
> I've found the best way for me is subscribing to all the common
> announcement lists for things like Drupal, Wordpress, Mediawiki, along
> with a few feeds in my feed reader: Latest Secunia Security
> Advisories, SecurityFocus Vulnerabilities, The SANS Internet Storm
> Center, FrSIRT - Vulnerabilities and Cyber Threats, The honeyblog.

There's a heck of a lot of information out there, and I have to trust
other people in this process. There are some critical items that I keep
up with, but for general system updates I trust my packager probably
more than I should, but I don't really have a choice since we're a small
house. I can't pay a full time security expert. So far perhaps I've been
lucky, but I've experienced no software exploits on my servers through
published software. (knocking loudly)

However, I still spend 5-10 hours a week minimum keeping up with the
technology, which includes this type of thing. And I update regularly.

-Micah