[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Thu Feb 8 06:52:01 EST 2007

Our public library started a laptop loaner program about a year ago. We
engraved some ID information on the bottom of the laptop and require
borrowers to leave their ID. We use Cornerstone software to restore the
laptops to their original configuration and to remove patron files. This
happens automatically when the laptop is rebooted.  We don't allow the
laptops to leave the building. So far no problems.

Phillip B. Whitford
Manager Information Technology
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.
-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of K.G. Schneider
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:34 PM
To: publib at webjunction.org; web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

For those of you with laptop checkout programs, what security systems
are you using to help minimize theft? We are big enough and busy enough
that relying on good faith or vigilant employees is not adequate.

Some of the answers I've come up with online:

... Computrace (makes sense)
... Requiring ID (well, duh)
... Requiring second ID (hmmm...)
... Taking ID (not sure we can do this)
... Steep fines for late returns (seem reasonable)
... Labeling the laptops (can't hurt)
... Stockades (deterrence through public humiliation)

O.k., maybe I made up the part about stockades. The idea of labeling the
laptops makes me grin a little... huge lettering that said HI, I'M FROM
THE LIBRARY could deter at least a spontaneous thief. Maybe add
stick-ons with fluffy kittens or featuring Barry Manilow.

I'm not worried about what's ON the laptop, in terms of tampering-we
would re-ghost machines on return. (Right, I don't need to be worried?)
Peripherals would be checked out separately (I think...). In terms of
wear and tear, we'd assume it would be pretty heavy, and per the online
guidance, buy extra batteries and maybe some extra power cords.

I'd assume some attrition; it's a checkout program, we want the
equipment to be used, stuff happens. (As it sayeth in the Good Book,
laptops go and come, but earth abides.) I just would like to see most if
not all of the laptops return after the first day. ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Karen G. Schneider
Acting Associate Director of Libraries for Technology & Research
Florida State University
Email/AIM: kschneider at mailer.fsu.edu
Blog: http://quodvide.wordpress.com
Phone: 850-644-5214