[Web4lib] Blogs and responding to patron concerns/complaints

Bradbeer, Gayle Gayle.Bradbeer at auraria.edu
Wed Feb 7 16:25:34 EST 2007

We have had blogs since 2004 (never publicized to the wider community)
that allow responses.  I own them but never had much interest from
others in helping provide content so they have been on and off the
library homepage, http://library.auraria.edu/, as I have had more or
less interest.   They are http://aurhottop.blogspot.com/ and
http://oa-auraria.blogspot.com/.  Only recently have we received any
comments at all and a couple were complaints.  There was *one* comment
that targeted a specific non-library faculty's class, which was deleted
the next day. You might try suggesting moderating the comments before
they are posted to relieve institutional concerns.

Michael Sauers, the Travelin Librarian,
http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/, has shown some links to interesting
library blogs in his classes before, but I can't find them right now.
There is one idea he espouses, that I agree with but haven't practiced.
It is to post after an event, as well as announcing it, and allow
comments so that people can continue talking about you and your library.

We now have a new "service" I really like (offered via a blog,
http://aurariaresearchnews.blogspot.com/).  It's on our homepage and we
have advertised it via email to our institutions' faculty but do not
allow comments on the blog itself.  I think it would be fun to see
comments, but not really necessary.  Most of our community still seem to
prefer email and do comment that way.

We have also experimented with putting a pc in an exhibit area and
asking via a blog for comments on the exhibit.  That worked out pretty
well, but we got more responses, and more complicated ones, on a large
flip chart we placed nearby with colored magic markers. (And we didn't
loose the markers over *two* whole weeks!)

Gayle

****
Gayle E. Bradbeer
Distance Support Librarian
Auraria Library (http://library.auraria.edu/)
An academic library serving UCDHSC, MSCD & CCD
1100 Lawrence Street, Denver, CO 80204-2095
Phone: 303-556-2791  Fax: 303-556-3528
gayle.bradbeer at auraria.edu
****