[Web4lib] Thoughts on Music from Apple

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Wed Feb 7 06:56:40 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Leo Robert Klein wrote:

> Andrew Hankinson wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> Steve Jobs has just posted a very interesting read regarding
>> Digital Rights Management and music:
>> http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/
>> Not only is it a good read from the man who arguably controls much
>> of the music consumption business, but I also find it refreshing
>> to see at least some level of transparency about DRM and what it
>> means in the long run.
>
> Well, thus spake the hardware manufacturer.  He's making way more
> on the player than on the content so naturally his inclination is
> to throw up his hands and say, a pox on your DRM requirements.

But that's the point no? We don't require all automobile
manufacturers to make their transmissions fit in all cars do we?
While this is a noble[1] goal I'm afraid I have to agree with His
Jobness.

> It'd be great -- we'd finally get OverDrive for the Mac -- but I
> think the Content Owners would prefer bankruptcy to DRM-free content.

I suppose this is no surprise when you have a corrupt industry (music
one) that is latching on to antiquated models that force the content
creators (emphases) to work at the cheapest rate for the content
owners (label companies).

Apart from the musicians with multiple hits[2] most musicians barely
break even when they sell a million records. Most of the money goes
to people who do a precious little but make a lot from that $15 CD.

So with radio's and MTV (do they still play music?)gradual demise and
having to fight with MySpace etc., the industry is bound to feel the
pinch from their number one target audience. DRM is simply an attempt
to step into this new modern world while still keeping all the
benefits, payola (sic) and control of the old one.

His Jobness on the other hand just wants you to buy an iPod and not
an iRiver or i<insert name here> product.

regards,
./fxk

[1]I am still waiting for Sony and Microsoft to get compelled with
the same requirement to declare it a noble goal. Unfortunately it is
the Norwegians that lose if this does happen.
[2] Hits seem to be determined by backdoor deals with radio stations.
  http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2001/03/14/payola/index.html