[Web4lib] Discussions on Web4Lib and the state of of the list.

Meredith Farkas mgfarkas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:46:48 EST 2007

While I am definitely a fan of the more recently-developed tools for sharing
knowledge, I still see Web4Lib and other lists of this sort to be useful. I
often get e-mails from people asking me for advice on wikis. Sometimes I
feel comfortable answering the question, but, more often than not, I'd
rather put in my 2 cents and also see them get advice from other people who
know as much (if not more) than I do about wikis. So frequently, I respond,
"here are my thoughts on this, but I would strongly suggest that you also
ask this question on a listserv like Web4Lib. There are a lot of people
using these tools in libraries, and you'd probably benefit from their
diverse knowledge and expertise."

Blogs are great, but they're very ego-centric. You're only getting one
person's perspective on things. Wikis are great, but people often don't add
to them unless they feel compelled to do so (because someone asked them a
question, because it's a time-limited project, because they just did
something cool they want people to know about, etc.). While there are new
models emerging to collect and share knowledge, I still see email lists and
sites like AskMetafilter as the best ways of "querying the hive" on a
specific topic. I often see people getting great advice on this list; advice
that is probably useful to many more people than the one who asked the
question. While I hate seeing lists degenerate occasionally into arguments
that have little to do with the topic, it's the price we pay to be a part of
a community of people that is usually more than willing to offer advice when
you need it. Like any community (physical or virtual), you take the bad with
the good.

Cheers,
Meredith

Meredith Gorran Farkas