[Web4lib] Discussions on Web4Lib and the state of of the list.

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Dec 20 04:52:39 EST 2007

Wednesday, December 19, 2007, 11:45:41 AM, you wrote:

> As one of the first subscribers to  Web4Lib,

Same here.  From the first week or two.

> I have seen it evolve from the open, loose, and always
> informative discussion to something I am wondering is of any more value.

My, my do you always throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Just because there's a little family squabble you don't file for
divorce do you?

>  It would be a shame to see it die.  Maybe it is suffering from a bit of
> old age and loss of focus.

Well, all of us (including me and thee), are indeed older.  :-)

But as to lack of focus, look back at what the focus was at the start.
It was about how to web pages, what to put on them, how to design
them, whether they could really be useful in libraries, etc.  Many of
us around then were more or less "early adopters". By now there are a
zillion more people on the web and many more things are being done
with it, so it is hardly surprising that the list is not only less
focused, but that there have been all sorts of other groups spun off
from it.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID