[Web4lib] USB Drive Encryption?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Dec 19 14:41:04 EST 2007

Actually, for a little clarification,  it doesn't assume its an installation
script but does execute any defined executables on the source or on the
machine connected to.  In Windows

 "when the "disk change notification" polling discovers a new disk in the CD
or DVD ROM drive [or any removable media_ tb], then, if the "Auto insert
notification" feature is enabled (it is by default), Windows checks in the
new disk's root directory for the existence of an "autorun.inf" file. If
found, Windows then reads and follows the specific instructions this file
defines. "

I've used this myself to create a slideshow on a CD to automatically start
IrfanView and it installed nothing.  Although leaving the default setting to
allow "auto insert notification" on can be dangerous in any case.  Even some
of the External USB harddrives run programs when you connect to them to a
Windows machine.

Thomas

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 13:11, John Fereira wrote:

> It is also worth noting that USB drives are being used to disseminate
> viruses.   On a windows machine, when the O/S detects a file called
> autorun.inf on removable media it assumes that it is an installation
> script and executes it (I believe windows can be configured to change
> this behavior).  If the autorun.inf file is replaced by something
> nefarious all sorts of bad things can happen.

> >--
> >Michael McDonnell
> >michael at winterstorm.ca
>
> John Fereira
> jaf30 at cornell.edu
> Ithaca, NY

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  As videos could be 25 pictures
per second and might last several minutes, how many words is that?
- Linux Journal, July 2007

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/