[Web4lib] USB Drive Encryption?

Michael McDonnell michael at winterstorm.ca
Wed Dec 19 12:03:17 EST 2007

MichaelMay.27904586 at bloglines.com wrote:
> Can anyone recommend software to password protect or encrypt a USB thumb drive?
> I need something that's free, very easy to install and configure, will work
> on Windows PCs or laptops without administrator rights. I'm most interested
> in what people are actually using themselves. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> -Mike in Dubuque

I use TrueCrypt.  It can encrypt an entire device, or it can be used to
create a file that acts as a virtual drive (shows up as a separate drive
letter).

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I recommend against using encryption solutions built into or bundled
with USB thumb drives.  Many of them have been shown to be trivial to
defeat.

--
Michael McDonnell
michael at winterstorm.ca