[Web4lib] Code4lib 2008 Minority Scholarship

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Dec 18 10:23:49 EST 2007

I for one benefited from something similar many years ago and I may not have found my way into electrical enginering / computer science if it hadn't been for that program. I didn't find it patronizing then and I don't find it so now. If getting one more woman in the field of engineering and/or IT (and/or keeping her there!) is the result of these endeavors then I say we're making much needed progress.

Regarding "women" qualifying for this "library" conference as a "minority" -- I can assure you that the men at Code4LibCon far outnumber the women -- we women are still in the minority among Library IT folks.

Cheers,
Darci

Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us

Ask me about Plinkit!    http://www.plinkit.org/    http://oregon.plinkit.org