[Web4lib] accessibility software for public PCs

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Dec 17 14:32:51 EST 2007

  We are using JAWS as well as Kurzweil 3000.

  Also, you may want to look at the built-in features of Opera browser for
Windows.  With a scroll button mouse you can use the control key and scroll
button to zoom in and out of a page.  This zooms images as well as text which
you don't usually get by changing font size on the browser.  The built-in
text to speech is very good on the Windows version.  Highlight text and right
click "speak".  The first time you do this it has to download the support
files first but this is one time only.  And I think you can set it to read
every new page that is opened.  Opera also has voice navigation built in.
Opera could prove to be a very viable solution for assisted access without
extra software and it is free and fast.

FYI, the linux version doesn't have all of the voice or speak support.

Thomas

PS: did I mentioned I like Opera ;-)

On Monday 17 December 2007 11:42, Gillian Wiseman wrote:
> I've been asked to look into software (particularly screen magnification
> and screen reading programs) for our library's public access computers. I'm
> sure there are many options, but if anyone can clue me in to what the best
> options are, I'd be very appreciative. Also, if there are any sites or
> books that would help me understand the requirements and limitations of
> available products, that would be very helpful. We're in a Windows XP
> environment, with no plans to upgrade anytime in the next year. Thank you
> in advance, and I'll summarize any off-list responses to the list in a
> couple of days.
>
> Gillian Wiseman
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Waco-McLennan County Library
> (254)750-5944
> gwiseman at ci.waco.tx.us

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  As videos could be 25 pictures
per second and might last several minutes, how many words is that?
- Linux Journal, July 2007

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/