[Web4lib] accessibility software for public PCs

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Mon Dec 17 12:18:06 EST 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Gillian Wiseman wrote:

> I've been asked to look into software (particularly screen magnification
> and screen reading programs) for our library's public access computers.
> I'm sure there are many options, but if anyone can clue me in to what
> the best options are, I'd be very appreciative. Also, if there are any
> sites or books that would help me understand the requirements and
> limitations of available products, that would be very helpful. We're in
> a Windows XP environment, with no plans to upgrade anytime in the next
> year.

Often, character-based applications are easier to add voice to than are
graphical applications. Our terminal emulator, AnzioWin, has an interface
to Windows' speech output capabilities. So AnzioWin can "speak" part or
all of a text screen.

I would be happy to work with anyone interested in putting this
capability into practice.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com