[Web4lib] Failed or transitory technologies, with an emphasis on libraries

Steve Cramer SMCRAMER smcramer at uncg.edu
Mon Dec 17 10:53:17 EST 2007

Sounds like a similar thesis in the interesting history book "Victorian
Internet : the remarkable story of the telegraph and the nineteenth
century's on-line pioneers" by Tom Standage (New York : Walker and Co.,
1998.)

--sc
Steve Cramer
Librarian for Accounting, Apparel, Business, & Economics
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
smcramer at uncg.edu, 336-256-0346, AIM: stevebizlib

Lyman Ross <lross at uvm.edu>
Sent by: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
12/14/2007 05:15 PM

web4lib at webjunction.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Web4lib] Failed or transitory technologies,        with an emphasis
on libraries

If you have the time and are interested you might take a look at a
recent book entitled The shock of the old (OUP,2007) which argues that
it is a mistake to view technological change as a revolutionary or
transformative force.  Instead he argues that in terms of use technology
is often conservative and long lived.  You may not agree with his thesis
but he has some interesting examples and knows the literature.

-Lyman

--
Lyman Ross
Systems Librarian