[Web4lib] Google competing with Wikipedia? (Google's "knol" project)

Chris Tinney vctinney at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 15 12:41:00 EST 2007

Google™ is now encouraging people to contribute.
Googlepedia vs Wikipedia.  This should create a
worldwide firestorm of competition within the
educational community, with political side effects
for those who wish to exercise authority controls
over information and information resources.
http://editdesk.blogspot.com/2007/12/googlepedia-vs-wikipedia.html

"B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>From the official Google blog:

"Earlier this week, we started inviting a selected group of people to try a new, free tool that we are calling 'knol', which stands for a unit of knowledge. Our goal is to encourage people who know a particular subject to write an authoritative article about it...The key idea behind the knol project is to highlight authors. Books have authors' names right on the cover, news articles have bylines, scientific articles always have authors -- but somehow the web evolved without a strong standard to keep authors names highlighted. We believe that knowing who wrote what will significantly help users make better use of web content."

More detail at:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/encouraging-people-to-contribute.html

Bernie Sloan