[Web4lib] CGI Forms: checkboxes and stringing of multiple fields

Baker, Tammy K Tammy.K.Baker at nhmccd.edu
Mon Dec 10 13:37:18 EST 2007

Greetings everyone,

I'm working on interlibrary loan request forms and I'm seeking some
insight since I'm really rusty and not much of a programmer. First, it
was decided that phone numbers would be in separate fields rather than
one field; so we went from this:

Phone# <input name="Phone" type="text" size="13">

to this:

Phone# (

<input name="AreaCode" type="text" size="3">

)

<input name="Prefix" type="text" size="3">

-

<input name="Number" type="text" size="4">

The part of the cgi script pertaining to the phone number had

print MESSAGE "Phone#: $FORM{Phone}\n";

Now I have to string three fields together and wanted to know if the
following would work (to display something like 832-555-1212):

print MESSAGE "Phone#: $FORM{AreaCode}-$FORM{Prefix}-$FORM{Number}\n";

Second, I have never seen information on how checkboxes are treated with
cgi. For example, the following on the form:

Did you check the library catalog to determine whether the item is
available locally? <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox"
value="checkbox">

I'm not sure how to get the results of the checkbox from the webform to
the email recipient. I'm probably way off but would something like the
following work:

if ($FORM{ckeckbox} = "yes") {

print MESSAGE "I checked the library catalog before submitting.\n";

}

else {

print MESSAGE "I did not check the library catalog before
submitting.\n";

}

Thank you so much in advance for any insight.

Sincerely,

Tammy K. Baker, Technology Librarian
Automated Library Services
District Services and Training Center
North Harris Montgomery Community College District
5000 Research Forest Drive
The Woodlands, Texas 77381-4356 USA

Telephone:            (832) 813-6652
Facsimile:              (832) 813-6614