[Web4lib] Network certifications

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Dec 3 15:50:31 EST 2007

Hello David,

> Certifications generally indicate that an employee can read a book and
> take a test. Some certifications are harder than others to obtain.

No argument with that comment.  However, to me the most important
thing is to know, or decide what KIND of networks he is going to work
on.  Windows?  Novell?  Internet beyond the internal network?
Something else?  MCSE?  CNA?  CCNA?  (and on and on)

And, despite the comment that the certs don't necessarily prove real
world skills, they're still often the union card, just like the MLS or
PhD in other worlds, which also don't prove that one can function as a
librarian or teach a college class.

--
Best regards,
 Dan                            mailto:dan at riverofdata.com