[Web4lib] Thin Client Opinions

Andrew amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 31 11:35:24 EDT 2007

We run a pair of Windows 2003 servers to support OPACs terminals at two
separate locations and it works great. I also had purchased some
terminals to test out for replacing Internet and word processing PCs. At
the time I tested them, the issues I ran into included:

1) Video and multimedia support
2) Support for USB devices
3) Support for CD burning

If I had done this say 3 or 4 years ago, I could probably have made that
work since #1 was really the only issue. But over the past couple of
years, the demand and expectation by patrons for support for #2 and #3
has really grown significantly. I know that there are terminals that
include USB ports and can be purchased to include CD and floppy drives.
I also think that the more recent versions of MS's RDP client have
decent support for redirect to peripherals, USB devices and audio. But
to make those work well, the terminals that you have to purchase to
include support for 1 - 3 approach the price of an equivalent PC. With
tools like Active Directory and DeepFreeze, the hands on maintenance
required to keep up PCs isn't as onerous as it once was. It just didn't
seem like it was worth the trade-off, especially since I couldn't
predict what new technology patrons would want/need in the next couple
of years.

For those who have gone the terminal route for public Internet
computers, how well do they support 1 - 3 and how do you handle demand
for those?

Thanks,

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician