[Web4lib] Seeking Advice: Switching Career Paths

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Aug 30 11:03:09 EDT 2007

David,

I would second the comments that you need to start developing a portfolio. As you've discovered, most organizations aren't going to take you on as a web developer without some examples that demonstrate your abilities. Gone are the days that people were hired for these positions because they knew a little bit about HTML or Javascript.

If you already have the skills to be successful in that kind of position, you should be able to find work developing web sites for individuals, small companies and non-profits. There's a lot of people looking to establish or improve their presence on the web but who can't afford or don't want to work with a large organization or would prefer to work one-on-one with someone. You'll need to do some legwork to find potential clients. Perhaps you have friends or family who might have a need that would be willing to let you get started. Once you've done a few websites, you'll have something to show to potential employers or clients.

As was suggested, at the minimum, you can demonstrate some of your skills and talents by putting together your own presence on the web. It's one way to show your abilities, will be needed if you do end up taking on clients and I think is pretty much expected by anyone looking to hire someone in this field. It's hard to talk about being a designer and not even having your own site.

Good luck!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library