[Web4lib] understanding javascript

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Wed Aug 29 14:02:01 EDT 2007

At 12:56 PM 8/29/2007, Robert L. Balliot wrote:
>http://javaranch.com
>
>http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
These are both Java resources, I'm sure someone will likely beat me
to it but...

JAVA != JavaScript the only connection the 2 languages have is based
almost solely on marketing.  JavaScript is an interpreted scripting
language which is officially named 'ECMAScript' and also developed
under Netscape as 'LiveScript'.  Netscape briefly partnered with Sun
and they renamed it JavaScript purely for marketing purposes.

Java is a compiled programming language which is syntactically much
more like C++ than Javascript.  Learning Java is nothing like
learning JavaScript, and the 2 are almost never used for the same
type of development work.  Most of the Java you'll see on the web is
server side ( .jsp is the JavaServer Page extension), all of the
JavaScript work you'd do on the web will be used for client side scripting.

Java- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29

JavaScript- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript

I hope I don't come across as snarky, but I did want to clear that up
as it can lead to a lot of confusion.
--Will