[Web4lib] SciTech Social Networking Sites?

Robin rboulton at stcharleslibrary.org
Tue Aug 28 15:30:14 EDT 2007

I'm reproducing here the text of a recent; posting on Web4Lib:

" I'd second Robert L. Balliot's suggestion that a successful sci tech-
themed blog should be considered a social networking site, and add to
that Arxiv.org.

http://arxiv.org/

Arxiv may not at first look like a social networking site, but the
process of endorsements and the invitation for peer review and
discussion (including via trackbacks) give it the necessary features.

http://arxiv.org/help/trackback

It may not quite be Flickr for the hard sciences, but it's an inspiring
example of how academic publishing is changing.

Casey Bisson