[Web4lib] RE: Selling USB Drives to the public

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Tue Aug 28 12:21:48 EDT 2007

We've decided to stop selling floppy disks and have also purchased new computers to replace our slightly out-dated models, in doing so we've completely removed support for floppy disks (sans a USB floppy drive or two at the clerk's desk).  Due to continued problems with CDs (people think that dragging and dropping files to the CD will always work, or wonder why they can't add more later, etc...) we always strongly suggest patrons purchase a USB "thumb" drive (memory stick).

We sell basically at-cost for whatever the best prices we find at any given time that we need to resupply our stock.  Typical sites we look for sales on are edealinfo.com, newegg, pricewatch.com, and pricegrabber.com.  We factor in the price of shipping to the cost of the drives and average it out.  All in all, we end up selling 512MB - 1GB drives depending on sale prices and they usually run for about $11 each for patrons.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street