[Web4lib] ODF, OOXML, in Ghana and the developing world

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 02:43:40 EDT 2007

I think the key here is that the developed world provide the
developing world with the advances in the tools and techniques, and
then they apply these tools to their specific situations.

Open Source / Open Document formats are designed especially for
this.  Otherwise we end up with the situation you highlighted: the
languages are there, but they're still waiting for Microsoft ("The
West", if you will) to fix it instead of taking the initiative,
learning the code and fixing it themselves.  This serves two purposes
- it helps the person develop important skills, but it also helps
their neighbours by giving them tools in their own language, which
they'll then use to build more tools, and it snowballs from there.
Sure the first generation had to learn english to cope, but hopefully
by the third or fourth generation they're on the way to independent
sustainability. I'd love to see programming languages develop with a
'human' language that is not english at the core.**

In many ways the developing countries are much further ahead of us -
much like the use of cell phones in these countries.  They're not
tied to huge investments in physical infrastructure just to maintain
what they have, (i.e. our 'landline' systems) and starting from "day
1" with an open document format will spare them some of the tough
lessons we've learned about vendor lock-in and how far back that can
set you in the long run.

The grassroots movements in these developing countries have to take
ownership on developing their own new technologies - such as font
rendering and input systems.  Give a man a fish, etc. etc.

Frankly, and tangentially, I'm appalled at the sheer volume of
important data that our society has amassed that's locked into
proprietary formats.  Everything from important government documents
to unique works of literature and digital art are all in danger of
being lost simply because we aren't guaranteed to be able to open
them in the future.  Looking into the future, if the librarians and
archivists of today want to have a lasting legacy in the preservation
of human knowledge in the digital age, they'll start phasing out the
day-to-day use of, and not accepting into their collections,
documents or formats that aren't truly open.

Andrew

** Also tangentially related, but I think this would be a significant
advancement in Computer Science as a whole.  People who speak
different human languages structure thoughts in different ways, so
how much further ahead would we be to bring these different thought
processes to a computer and have it tackle some of the limitations
that using "English" thought patterns imposes.