[Web4lib] Freebase appears to be live in its alpha state, no invitation necessary

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 23 01:49:27 EDT 2007

August 22, 2007

Freebase (http://www.freebase.com/signin) appears to be live and open in its
alpha state and no invitation is necessary to register for a free account. I
requested an invitation a day or two ago and received it today. During the
time I registered, activated my account, and started putting in some
information, the site appears to have opened itself up to the whole
Internet. I checked with two different browsers just to make sure that URL
worked. It's a pretty amazing system and I think it will rival Wikipedia in
its utility over time. The initial content comes from Wikipedia and other
open sources. With an open API, active development and reuse of the data is
encouraged.

David Mattison
The Ten Thousand Year Blog (http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress)