[Web4lib] The Facebook Platform: The Next Generation OPAC? / Library ?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:26:15 EDT 2007

Friends/

A Radical Idea For A Thursday Afternoon [It's Amazing What Comes To Mind In The Middle of The Night [:-)]

*** The  Facebook  Platform: The Next Generation OPAC?  / Library ? ***

>From A Recent TIME Magazine Interview with Mark Zuckerberg, Founder and CE0 of Facebook
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg ]

<QUOTE>

TIME: Why do you describe Facebook as a "social utility" rather than a "social network?"

Zuckerberg: I think there's confusion around what the point of social networks is. A lot of different companies characterized as social networks have different goals - some serve the function of business networking, some are media portals.

 *** What we're trying to do is just make it really efficient for people to communicate, get information and share information ***.

We always try to emphasize the utility component.

</QUOTE>

[ http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1644040,00.html ]

What Do You Think ???

Consider The Possibilities ...

Thanks!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

!!! Social Networking is People !!!
[ http://www.facebook.com/p/Gerry_McKiernan/16926735  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]