[Web4lib] What do you call your library's experimental web site?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:24:38 EDT 2007

Wow!  Such vitriol over a single word.

I think the expression "from our labs" or "in the labs" is pretty common,
and it's a very apt, descriptive metaphor.  "Beta" isn't supposed to mean
"new"; it's supposed to be "still in test phase".  You can diss Google for
messing up the meaning of "beta" -- I'm typing this using Gmail, now in beta
for 3 years with millions of satisfied customers -- but I see no reason to
gainsay labs.google.com, where they really do experiment.

I suppose it might come off as a tad pretentious to use the term when you're
not really a research or development organization.  test.acme.org would
work.  We've used new.xxxx.msu.edu a time or two.

/rich