[Web4lib] seriously mundane questions

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:21:59 EDT 2007

The conventional wisdom is that Google ignores Meta Keywords, and a Google
official has confirmed this in public.

For some reason people extrapolate from this that Meta Description is
ignored.  This is not true.  Recently for some reason www.msu.edu/  lost its
Meta Description.  Without it, the abstract on the SERP was random, chosen
based on what happened to be on the home page.

When we restored our Meta Description, the abstract once again exactly
matched.  It's great fun, you type it into your page, and Google magically
shows what you typed the next time it crawls..

To see for yourself, search for:

   michigan state university

What you'll see on the results page is:

   *Michigan State University*: Advancing Knowledge. Transforming Lives. *
MSU's* teaching and research serve *Michigan*, the nation, and the world.
Est. 1855.

This exactly matches our Meta Description.

I checked a number of large universities and found that of those who use the
Meta Description, only about the first 150 characters show on the Google
SERP.  So ours is 149.

As for Meta Keywords, I don't think it hurts to put them in, whether Google
ignores them or not.

/rich