[Web4lib] interlibrary cooperation - web content

HAZEL Margaret E margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us
Wed Aug 1 11:57:52 EDT 2007

Are you talking about lists of links, or creating original content, Ray?

We are heading in the direction of not making very many lists of links,
or creating a lot of original content, unless it is specifically
relevant to our locality, and is not being done by someone else.

We do provide short lists of links to popular search engines,  free
email services, and basic web & email tutorials, however, for folks
using our in-house internet access PCs.

We just don't have the resources to do more, much as (some of) the
librarians would like to do so.  We refer, professionally, and are very
selective in what we add.  We have a collection of 500,000 items, and a
circ of over 2.5 million a year, 130 FTE.

Our current discussions are around creating a virtual branch out of our
website.  But that will require a reallocation of staffing resources.

-Margaret

Margaret E. Hazel
Principal Librarian, Technology
Eugene Public Library