[Web4lib] SharePoint 2007 WSS for public-facing websites?

Norwood, Randy randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Mon Apr 30 11:52:41 EDT 2007

Based on a list archives search, this question has not been asked for
several years..

Our Law School website is being completely redesigned, and serious
consideration is being given to using SharePoint 2007 WSS as the content
platform. This is being driven partly by the fact that we are using a
related product, SharePoint 2007 MOSS, for our intranet, and partly to
avoid having to purchase and maintain a separate web CMS.

I am a bit skeptical of this direction, and am very interested in
finding real-world examples of SP being used for a public-facing web
site, preferably an academic or library site. I would like to assess
several issues of concern, mainly having to do with performance
(responsiveness) and aesthetics. Microsoft has a tool called SharePoint
Designer that, according to one of our developers, allows the developer
to create templates of arbitrary layout and complexity, such that the
resulting pages do not have the typical canned SP look.

I would appreciate any examples, or informed opinions concerning using
SP WSS for a web site.

thanks

--

Randy Norwood