[Web4lib] floppy disk issues

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Apr 30 11:12:55 EDT 2007

Floppy Drive alignment software can be run on the patron's home drive and on
your public machine(s) drive(s).  An example of this type of software can be
found at:

http://www.accurite.com/DriveProbe.html

Search Google for: floppy drive calibration

You will probably find other software also.

Somewhere very deep in my software archive I have a program that claimed to
realign the read/write head on a floppy.  I guess it could if the stepper
motor can actually move in fractions of a step.

Thomas

On Friday 27 April 2007 14:12, Erjavek, Ed wrote:
> We were curious if anyone has had any success dealing with a growing
> problem for us with patrons trying to have info read on their floppy disks.
>

> It isn't a question of the hardware on the floppy drive being bad as the
> sectors on the floppy disk not lining up.
>

> The issue is likely that was the original computer that the patron's
> document was saved on. The chances are best that the document will be able
> to read on the machine that it was originally created on.
>

> When the patron tries to open that document on another machine, it may or
> may not be able to read that document because the heads on the floppy disk
> drive may or may not be able to read the sectors on the floppy disk because
> they don't line up properly.
>

> Does anyone out there have any ideas how to alleviate this problem?
>

> Thanks, Ed

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/